DOSBox emulates an old DOS PC and, in my opinion, is the definitive emulator for PC games that still require MS-DOS as the operating system.
Since I use DOSBox often and regularly, I create a new binary from the code soon after a new version of it is released on SourceForge: An untouched version and one that contains numerous patches with improvements that have been created by various users in the DOSBox forum on vogons.org. Therefor I called this version “Enhanced Community Edition”, ECE for short. The VOGONS community also is the place to go when you’re looking for help or if you have a problem with or a question about DOSBox.
Currently, the ECE differs from normal DOSBox in the following features:
- Emulation of a 3Dfx Voodoo card via internal (software or OpenGL) or external wrapper
- 4x, 5x and 6x image scaling is possible in windowed mode
- Pixel-perfect output mode, for distortion-free scaling of the image
- Improved emulation of OPL3 (a FM sound synthesis chip from Yamaha)
- Improved balance and authenticity in FM sound playback
- Improved PC speaker sound emulation
- Emulation of the Roland MT-32 Midi synthesizer
- Integration of Fluidsynth (a software midi synthesizer with soundfont support)
- Support for up to 10 joystick axes and 2 D-pads (2 complete Xbox360 compatible controllers)
- Mouse buttons can be mapped to keyboard keys or controller buttons
- Support for up to 384 MB RAM, required for running Windows 9x in DOSBox ECE
- 4MB video memory, reducing sprite flickering in games with the Build engine (“Duke Nukem 3D”, “Blood”, etc.)
- Support for MSF timestamps in CUE files, MP3, FLAC, WAV and OPUS files are supported as cd audio replacement
A short overview of the integrated patches can also be found in a text file in the corresponding downloads below. Older versions can be found in the “archive” folder.
If you like DOSBox ECE and would like to support further development, feel free to buy me a coffee on Ko-fi!